Friday, March 25, 2011

Recent discoveries on my journey with Christ


I've done a horrible job blogging this week and I'm extremely sorry! I just wanted to share some things on my heart!
Ever since Sept/Oct I finally listened to God and began a Bible Study here at our house with other women. I was yearning for this and really felt the tug from Him to get something started! We began with Beth Moore's study on Esther and that was an incredible journey. We were able to borrow the DVD's from a local church and we each purchased our own study books where we would be in the Word at least 5 days a week with this particular study. I had never done a Beth Moore study before and boy was it challenging and a wonderful study! It's one of her newer ones and I highly recommend it! The group wanted to do another one and I wasn't so sure what to do since our family is getting ready to embark on becoming a family of four. I wasn't so sure about continuing to both host and lead. After much prayer God led us to study the Psalms of Ascent (Psalm 120-134) (Stepping UP) It's a 6-week study so the timing has worked out great (so far) with the arrival of our newest addition.
I realized I needed to be in the Word more on a deeper level and needed other women to share this and life with. We weren't meant to be on this journey alone!
So one day our study was on Psalm 128 and in this section in verse 3 it says "Your wife will be like a fruitful vine within your house, your sons like young olive trees around your table." In Psalm 128 the fruitful vine is the wife and in John 15 the Vine is Christ Himself. "I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my word remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given to you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples." -John 15:1-8 (NIV)
Later, followers of Christ are called His Bride and comprise the branches. The point of Christ's teachings are the branches and the Bride of Christ is still the one commanded to increase and bear much fruit.
Beth then had us look at Luke 19:21-27 to see what the point was for this parable.
Beth closes with this in our study: "When Christ called His Bride (the church) to be fruitful, and through its fruitfulness, to multiply, He wasn't just issuing a great idea or even and invitation. He was issuing a command. God not only enables increase but He also expects it. What we read of Christ's final face-to-face words to His disciples in Matt. 28:19 is not called The Great Permission. It's called The Great Commission. Christ chose and appointed you to go and bear fruit-fruit that will last. He placed His Spirit within you the moment you received Him as Savior."

Fruitful, yes Lord I will be fruitful. And the timing of this particular study with an opportunity that came today was nothing but His perfect timing and ways! Thank you, Lord for teaching me this!

2 comments:

Janet P. said...

Beth Moore's studies are awesome! Thanks for sharing Jessica.

J.L. Neyhart said...

I've never done one of her studies but I have heard they are really good. I miss diving into God's word with you...